Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"God , help me sleep"

Oh , Luke. Never a dull moment when he is around. What is really funny to me is that what I'm getting ready to write is so similar to a friend's blog that I just read. And her child is just a week or so younger than Luke. Well, our little guy has been pretty addicted to his pacifier as long as we can remember. We tried at least twice to get rid of it unsuccessfully . Basically because we are weak, we really enjoy our sleep, and because he seemed so miserable. But as his 3rd birthday is quickly approaching (please no judgement for my almost 3 year old with a pacifier) , we told him that he had to give it up. 3 year olds don't need paci's. Plus he was going to give it to our friend's baby .

Well, one day last week he decided he didn't want to take a nap because we had a little girl visiting and she wasn't napping. I said, "ok, but you have to take your pacifier and put it in the trash." He said, "Ok!" Oddly, he ran to the trash , threw it away, and then began to play with the little girl. That night , for some reason, he thought he could get his paci back. I overheard Forrest tell Luke, "God is better than any paci in the world. " Not sure he ever thought he would be saying that! He told him to pray and ask God to help him go to sleep. Later he walked by and heard Luke saying "God help me sleep" over and over. Sweet boy, he was sooooo addicted to that thing. Actually last summer when we were in the US, he was only allowed to have it in the bed. So if he got rebuked or upset about something, he would just run to his room and suck his pacifier for a while.

So the pacifier is gone for good this time. Going to bed isn't as fun as it used to be and he sure does come up with a bunch of stall tactics.

On the other side, his little sis is becoming VERY attached to her "pa" as she says. I told Forrest that if we have baby #3 , we gotta go paci-free. He said the paci and the giraffe blankets are part of who we are now. Oh dear.


Luke and Olivia with the little baby friend that he gave his other paci to.

Just to show how much Luke loves his sister.


4 comments:

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

I had my paci until I was 3. At my birthday they apparently had a cermonious throwing away of the paci. I cried all night long...glad he's doing better than I did! Love you guys!

Tricia F said...

oh my goodness. so cute. i love that 'God is better than any paci in the world...' is that n.a.'s baby in the picture?

Holly said...

Oh, my...how completely precious. That almost brought tears to my eyes! I always swore my kids would never have pacifiers, and then, after they were born and I was getting no sleep, I would have given anything if either of them would take one, but neither of them ever would. Dan, however, is now addicted to his sippie cup, and he's almost four. :(

Karen said...

Girl you rock! Not an easy one by any measure! I remember taking eWe's away at 11 months....the night before I left on a trip without Chad (and 6 months preggers with Lil' C)...what in the world? It worked, though, and then Lil' man used his pointer. Try detaching that one! Ha! Love you. Let's talk, kay? Hugs! K