Saturday, September 17, 2011

Luke is FIVE!


How did 5 years pass so quickly? 


Little did we know on September 14, 2006 , that God would bless us with such an incredible kid. Luke has been planning for this birthday since his last.  Something about 5 for him and me too.  We are incredibly blessed to be Luke's parents.  He has such a sweet heart, thoughtful, generous, loves school, loves to play with friends, loves to help out around the house, loves anything with Daddy, and truly loves to be with our family. What a kid. 

He told Olivia he wanted her to buy him a toy gun (and said which store to get it at).  When she gave it to him, he jumped up and down like it was such a surprise!  Makes gift giving easy I guess.  
He said he wanted a big hug from Maggie.  This kid is easy to please.  He told us he wanted batteries to replace the dead ones in his toys.  But then he decided he would put them in Maggie's toys so she can hear the music. What a kid!
And the long-awaited bubblegum.  Some time ago, I randomly picked age 5 to start chewing gum.  And he's be waiting and loved every second of it...that is til he swallowed it. 

He wanted a tool-themed birthday party. This kid loves to hammer and build stuff.  He can tell you which kind of screwdriver you need for anything.  This was the perfect theme for him, but a bit hard for me to come up with ideas. 

Some of our American friends here also had babies and just returned from the US.  The baby in green is 2 months older than Maggie and the one in pink is 1 month younger than Maggie . And yes, mine is the biggest. We don't have to worry if she's getting enough to eat !

(Can someone tell me why this is happening again?  I rotated the pic correctly on my computer but when I upload to blogger it looks like this!)
A bunch of expat kids came to celebrate Luke. 
The games were all tool-related so the kids got to practice hammering...
And measuring...
and using the screwdriver.
Maggie hanging out - this girl sticks anything she can find in her mouth these days.  
The cakes!  Actually, after lots of thinking about and looking for ideas online, these weren't that hard at all.  
Proud to be 5!

The aftermath

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I LOVE your family!!! You are such an amazing mama! Loved reading this post- felt like I was there with you celebrating your sweet grown-up baby boy ... can't believe he's 5 :) The cake turned out great and everyone looked like they were having a great time. This just makes me want to get out there to see you guys tomorrow - too bad I have to wait until the Spring ... but I will be coming!!!

Lynda said...

Your cakes are tooo cute! It looks like everything you did to celebrate was a great hit. What wonderful memories of a special celebration!

Debbie said...

so cute, emily! Luke is precious.

to rotate your pictures, open them (rotated correctly) in Paint and resave them as .PNG files. Then upload those to the blog. Should work. That's how I've fixed mine when I use blogger to do my editing.

Usually I just use Windows Live Writer to do posts and then upload straight to the blog.