Thursday, October 08, 2009

Just call me Laura Ingalls Wilder


This year I've really gotten into canning, which is probably a bit strange for those of my generation in the US. But I've really enjoyed it and I have great satisfaction seeing all the jars lined up in the pantry or opening a jar of jam that I made. Here canning is a necessity to be prepared for the winter.

So now , for the last part of canning - applesauce. If I made 100 liters , I bet Luke and Olivia would eat every bite. They love applesauce. And since I make it unsweetened and they still love it, it's hard to say no when they ask for more. It's so good for them and plus , in the winter here our fruit choices are slim.

But the problem this year, making applesauce and sterilizing the jars takes a lot of gas. BUT, our neighboring country completely cut off the gas to the south of our country b/c our country is $18 million in debt. Seriously, cut the gas off completely. Thankfully we are blessed and have a propane tank hooked up to our oven and stove . But the average person here is really struggling. Most people are cooking outside all the time now. If the power outages start like last fall/ winter, we are all going to struggle.

Anyway, I wanted to make more applesauce while they are cheap. My helper and I had already made 14 liters a few weeks ago. So not to use our whole gas tank, we made applesauce in a big kazan outside over fire! Can you believe it? This definitely had to be my picture of the day. I think we ended up with about 12 liters this time.

Of course we sterilized the jars inside on the gas and sealed them up. Hopefully the gas will come back soon, but we are preparing ourselves for the winter without gas.




4 comments:

Karen said...

You amaze me! I am so proud to know you:)

Tricia F said...

Proud of you, Em! Can we 'meet' your house helper on here sometime?

Unknown said...

I will begin to pray about the winter and the situation there. I will also ask others to do the same. WOW! You are so talented!

Holly said...

Emily, you'll be pleased to know that canning is not strange to me! My daddy was Southern to the core, and it is something we did together, and I am so thankful for those times with him. I made my first attempt at solo canning this summer, and I hope he would have been proud. :) BUT...I am so amazed at the sheer AMOUNT of what you have canned for your kiddos, and I am super proud of what are you doing--every aspect of it. I don't think I can truly understand, living here in the States where we want for nothing. I pray that you will have what you need this winter--both food and energy-wise.